The heavy ion physics group studies the phase diagram of nuclear matter. At high temperature and density nuclear matter is changing its properties. First to a hot gas of hadrons and eventually it turns into a new phase, the quark gluon plasma (QGP) in which confinement of quarks and gluons - the fundamental constituents of protons, neutrons ands nuclear matter - is lifted.
- ALICE - Search for the Quark-Gluon-Plasma at the LHC
- CERES - Electron-pair production in Pb-Pb collisions at the CERN SPS
- isoQuant - Study of isolated quantum systems
- Detector R&D - Monolithic silicon pixel detectors
- NA60 - Muon production in proton-proton and nucleus-nucleus-collisions at the CERN SPS